Naijagoal logo

Liverpool Pursues Double Transfer with Barcola and Mbaye

Liverpool are closing in on one of the most audacious double raids of the summer, with a huge move for Bradley Barcola edging forward and Ibrahim Mbaye now firmly on their radar.

Liverpool and PSG find middle ground on Barcola

For weeks, Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain have been locked in a high-stakes stand-off over Barcola’s price. PSG planted their flag early: the 23-year-old, fresh from starring for France at the 2026 World Cup and a key part of last season’s Ligue 1 and Champions League-winning side, would not leave cheaply.

The numbers were eye-watering. PSG’s valuation climbed as high as €170m, with a firm stance at around €150m. Liverpool, determined but not reckless, drew their own line nearer €120m.

Now the gap has narrowed.

Liverpool-centric outlet DaveocKop reports that the clubs have reached an agreement in principle on a fee believed to be in the region of €128m (£109.8m, $147.5m). Crucially, the add-ons are said to be more realistic than those in earlier proposals, suggesting both sides have stepped away from the brink and into the realm of compromise.

The structure matters. It hints at Liverpool’s belief that Barcola will hit the performance markers attached to those bonuses, and PSG’s acceptance that, for a player who has refused to sign a new contract and made clear he wants out, this is the moment to cash in.

Barcola has already told PSG he will not extend his deal and, according to TEAMtalk’s Graeme Bailey, has his heart set on Anfield. Liverpool, for their part, are understood to have a contractual agreement in place with the winger, another piece of the puzzle already aligned.

There is a caveat. At this stage, it is one outlet claiming an agreement in principle between the clubs. Nothing is signed. Nothing is completed. The deal still needs corroboration from other sources and, more importantly, signatures on documents.

But the direction of travel is obvious. Liverpool have not walked away. They have moved up. PSG have moved down. The numbers now live in the same postcode.

If this crosses the line, Liverpool will be paying one of the biggest fees in their history for a wide forward they believe can define their next era.

Mbaye chase gathers pace

While the Barcola saga dominates the headlines, Liverpool’s recruitment team have not stopped there. The club are also pushing hard for Ibrahim Mbaye, another PSG winger who has suddenly become one of the most talked-about names in Europe.

Fabrizio Romano, speaking on The Market Madness on August 6, laid out the state of play. Liverpool have “genuine interest” in Mbaye and are already in conversation with his new agent, Jorge Mendes. Bayer Leverkusen had been driving the move, but Liverpool have now “taken the lead” in the race.

The picture sharpened further with Romano’s update on August 4. He revealed that Liverpool had made direct contact with Mendes, while Mbaye also held proposals from Bundesliga clubs but was giving priority to the Liverpool project. A deal with RB Leipzig had been close before collapsing when the Diomande-PSG move fell through, leaving a clear runway for a Premier League giant willing to act decisively.

TEAMtalk’s Graeme Bailey has since reported that Liverpool are in talks with Mbaye’s representatives and that the player himself is keen on a switch to Anfield. That detail matters. In a market where top clubs circle the same small group of elite talents, player preference often tilts the entire negotiation.

Liverpool now find themselves in a powerful position: leading the race for Mbaye while pushing to finalise terms for Barcola.

A statement window taking shape

Strip away the noise and the picture is stark. Liverpool, under Fenway Sports Group, are preparing to sanction a nine-figure deal for Barcola and are actively working on Mbaye. These are not opportunistic punts. They are targeted moves for two of PSG’s brightest attacking assets, both in their early twenties, both with Champions League and international pedigree.

One deal is at the “agreement in principle” stage between clubs, the other in advanced talks with the player’s camp and fronted by one of the game’s most powerful agents. Neither is done. Both are alive.

If Liverpool land even one of them, it reshapes their attacking options. If they land both, it sends a message across Europe: the rebuild is not tentative, it is aggressive.

The numbers are huge. The stakes are higher. The question now is simple: do Liverpool turn this ambitious pursuit into the kind of ruthless execution that defines a new cycle at Anfield?