Jamal Musiala Opens Up About Treatable Absence Seizures
Jamal Musiala has revealed he is living with treatable absence seizures after collapsing on the pitch for the second time in four days, but insists there is no long-term threat to his health or his career.
The Bayern Munich midfielder went down just eight minutes after coming on as a substitute in Tuesday night’s friendly against FC Heidenheim, a worrying repeat of the incident that saw him collapse during Saturday’s warm-up game against RB Leipzig.
This time, he chose to address it head on.
Musiala explains diagnosis
Posting on Instagram, the 23-year-old Germany international set out the situation in his own words, aiming to calm growing concern around him.
"I understand that many of you are worried. I would like to put those concerns to rest today and explain the situation: I have been diagnosed with brief, temporary -- but treatable -- absence seizures resulting from a neurological dysfunction," he wrote.
"These can lead to the kind of incidents seen recently, such as during the match against Leipzig or the game in Heidenheim.
"I know they might look alarming at first glance, but for me, they are currently part of my everyday life. I am receiving excellent medical care and remain very optimistic. FC Bayern and my personal support network are right by my side, helping me through this."
The episodes, while visually alarming, are short and, according to Musiala and his doctors, manageable.
Bayern knew, player pushed to continue
Questions immediately followed Tuesday’s game about why Musiala had been on the pitch again so soon after the first collapse.
Bayern sporting director Max Eberl made it clear the club had been fully briefed.
He said they "knew about it and we are aware of the situation," adding that Musiala himself would speak publicly about the issue, which the midfielder has now done.
Musiala stressed that he has been cleared to play and that the decision to continue his career in the usual rhythm was his own, taken in close coordination with specialists.
"Importantly, there is no further health risk involved," he said. "In close consultation and regular contact with the experts, it was my personal wish to face this challenge; with the medical clearance of the neurologists, I want to continue doing what helps my recovery most: simply living my life and pursuing my passion for playing football.
"I have taken full responsibility for this decision. Overall, I feel very positive and am on the right track."
He also admitted he would have preferred to keep the matter behind closed doors.
Musiala said it had been his "wish to keep this matter private, sharing it only with my closest circle, the club, and the medical experts," before the two public incidents forced him into the spotlight.
From broken leg to another battle
This is not the first major setback of Musiala’s young career.
He broke his leg last summer during Bayern’s match against Paris Saint-Germain in the Club World Cup, an injury that ruled him out for months. He returned at the start of the 2026 Bundesliga campaign and quickly rediscovered his influence.
By the time the 2026 World Cup came around, he was again central to Germany’s plans. Under Julien Nagelsmann, Musiala was a key figure for the national team, even as their tournament ended in shock fashion with a round-of-32 exit to Paraguay.
Now he faces a different type of challenge, one that cannot be solved with surgery or rehab alone.
But Musiala has made his stance clear: he intends to keep playing, keep competing, and keep living his football life under medical supervision. The next question is not whether he will step back onto the pitch – he already has – but how far he can push himself while managing a condition that has suddenly become part of his everyday reality.





