Naijagoal logo

Tottenham's Premier League Season Launch: Key Defender Micky van de Ven Ruled Out

Tottenham will launch their Premier League season at Brentford without key defender Micky van de Ven, Roberto De Zerbi has confirmed.

The Dutch centre-back, who has not played a single minute in pre-season and has been absent from open training sessions, has been ruled out of Saturday’s 5.30pm kick-off at the G-Tech Stadium. He joins Pedro Porro on the sidelines.

Porro has only just rejoined full training after lifting the World Cup with Spain, and De Zerbi is not prepared to rush him straight back into action.

In better news for Spurs, several other big names are available. Speaking at his pre-match press conference, De Zerbi ran through the state of his squad.

“Micky is not on the list tomorrow like Pedro Porro,” he said. “James Maddison is inside, Solanke inside, Udogie, Fernandes also. Sarr not because he felt some pain, but nothing big.”

So Maddison, Dominic Solanke, Destiny Udogie and Mateus Fernandes are all in contention. Pape Matar Sarr, though, will sit this one out after reporting discomfort.

De Zerbi moved to calm any concern around Van de Ven, stressing that the issue is minor and that the defender has already stepped up his work.

“Today he worked with us, with the group and he is going very well,” the Spurs head coach explained. “He suffered a problem during the pre-season of Australia, I don’t know if it was the flight, but not a big problem.

“We have Senesi, we have Ben Davies and in the right condition to play the game tomorrow.”

That points towards Marcos Senesi and Ben Davies being ready to shoulder responsibility at the heart of the defence on opening day.

De Zerbi: Spurs “not finished” in the market

If the team sheet is still taking shape, so is the squad itself.

Tottenham have already ripped through a busy window: Mateus Fernandes, Sandro Tonali, Jan Paul van Hecke, Marcos Senesi, Andy Robertson and Martin Dubravka have all arrived as De Zerbi reshapes the dressing room.

And they are not done.

Spurs are closing in on a move for Man City winger Savinho, with reports of a £75 million fee plus £10 million in add-ons agreed and a medical lined up before he signs a long-term contract.

De Zerbi refused to be drawn on the Brazilian specifically, but his smile told its own story.

“It's not right to speak about players until they are official. Just to say I'm very happy,” he said.

“We have not finished in the transfer market. It's an important part.

“So far we have brought in some great players, great spirit and great personality. You know better than me you don't win the games with big names and big players, you have to deserve to win the game. To do that we have to reach the level in character, intention and value and style of play.”

The message is clear. The recruitment drive might grab the headlines, but De Zerbi wants his Tottenham judged on edge, attitude and identity once the whistle blows in west London.