Protesters Occupy Dublin Sports Department over Ireland–Israel Clash
The debate over Ireland’s Nations League fixtures against Israel moved from the airwaves to the corridors of power in Dublin, as protesters were removed from the Department of Sport after occupying part of the building on Leeson Lane.
Activists from the #StopTheGame campaign entered the lobby of the Department of Culture, Communications and Sport, staging a sit-in aimed squarely at the Republic of Ireland’s October meeting with Israel. Security eventually cleared the group from the premises, but not before they made their message unmistakably clear: they want both Nations League ties called off.
The group described the action as one step in a rolling campaign that, in their words, will intensify until the fixtures are scrapped. Their statement pulled no punches, accusing the Government and the FAI of helping to “sportswash” Israel’s image by allowing the games to go ahead.
They argued that, as a signatory to the International Criminal Court, Ireland “should not be engaging in sportswashing” and is “failing in our moral, humanitarian and legal obligations as a country in playing these games.” The focus of their anger was not just the football calendar, but what they see as the wider political context surrounding the fixtures.
Taoiseach Micheál Martin was singled out. The group claimed he was “one of the first to demand that the FAI play these games,” and said the Government had exerted pressure on the association to fulfil the Nations League schedule.
Independent Dublin City Councillor Cieran Perry, speaking on behalf of the protesters, insisted that the players themselves should be kept out of the firing line. The responsibility, he argued, lies with administrators, not the dressing room. Perry said the FAI and the Government should take the decision to withdraw from the ties, rather than leaving the squad to carry the weight of a political storm.
The controversy comes against the backdrop of a significant change to Ireland’s home fixture. Last month, the FAI confirmed that the Republic of Ireland’s home Nations League game against Israel will not be played on Irish soil. Instead, it has been moved to a neutral venue and will be staged behind closed doors in Bačka Topola, Serbia, on Sunday 4 October.
The association said its Board opted to relocate the match “due to operational challenges that could impact on the delivery of the game on home soil.” No further detail was offered, but the decision underlined the logistical and security concerns swirling around the fixture.
Before that relocated home game, Stephen Kenny’s side are due to travel to Hungary to face Israel away at the Nagyerdei Stadion in Debrecen on 27 September. Both matches remain on the calendar, and with them, the protests.
Inside Government, the line is clear: this is the FAI’s business. A spokeswoman for the Department of Sport stressed that National Governing Bodies such as the FAI are “independent, autonomous bodies responsible for the governance of their own sports, including the organisation of sporting fixtures, whether in domestic or international competitions.”
Her message was blunt. “The Government and Sport Ireland have no role in the organisation of such fixtures.”
So the stalemate holds. Protesters promise to escalate. The Government points to the FAI. The FAI keeps the games on, one of them already shifted abroad and behind closed doors.
The fixtures remain in the diary. The question now is how much pressure will build before a ball is even kicked.






