Naijagoal logo

Pep Guardiola Rejects Italy Job After Talks

Pep Guardiola has rejected the chance to step into one of the most pressurised dugouts in world football, turning down the Italy job after talks with the Italian Football Federation.

The 55-year-old, who left Manchester City at the end of last season, had been in discussions over succeeding Gennaro Gattuso as head coach. Those conversations were serious enough for federation president Giovanni Malagò to acknowledge them publicly this week, even hinting that “exceptions” could be made on salary to lure him.

It was not enough.

On Thursday night, Guardiola informed the federation he would not be taking the role, citing what Sky Italy described as “personal reasons that go beyond football”. For a country still reeling from another World Cup failure, it was a brutal blow.

A giant says no

Italy’s search began in earnest after Gattuso resigned in April, walking away in the wake of a historic low: a four-time world champion failing to qualify for a third consecutive World Cup. The Azzurri have known disappointment before, but never like this, never with such a sustained absence from the game’s biggest stage.

In that context, Guardiola was not just a candidate. He was the dream. A serial winner, a tactical reference point for a generation of coaches, and a manager whose footballing ideals have shaped the modern game.

Yet he had already laid down a warning sign before leaving City. Guardiola spoke openly of needing a break, of running out of “energy” after his long spell in Manchester. The message was clear: the next project would have to wait. On Thursday, Italy discovered he meant every word.

Klopp steps back in – for Germany

While Italy’s top target stepped away, another coaching heavyweight stepped back into the international arena.

On Friday, Jurgen Klopp was unveiled as the new head coach of Germany, his first job since leaving Liverpool two years ago. The 59-year-old, who had also spoken of burnout and the need to “recharge” when he left Anfield, now insists the batteries are full again.

Klopp has signed a four-year contract that will carry him through Euro 2028 and the 2030 World Cup, a long-term commitment to a national team still trying to re-establish itself among the elite.

“The national team brings us Germans together like almost nothing else can. That’s what makes this task so special for me,” he said in Frankfurt, a line that underlined both the emotional pull of the job and the scale of the responsibility.

Two great rivals on the touchline, two very different paths: Klopp back in, Guardiola staying out.

Italy turns to familiar names

For Italy, the question now is simple and urgent: where next?

With Guardiola out of the running, attention swings back to more familiar Azzurri figures. Roberto Mancini, the man who delivered Euro 2020 glory before his own turbulent exit from the national setup, is among the candidates being considered. So is Andrea Pirlo, the elegant former midfield metronome now forging his identity as a coach.

Neither option carries the global shock factor of Guardiola, but both understand the unique weight of the Italy shirt and the expectations that come with it.

The federation knows time is not a luxury. The Azzurri need a coach, a plan, and a revival. Guardiola has chosen distance and rest. Klopp has chosen the roar of a home nation.

Italy, still searching, must now decide who will carry its burden into the next brutal cycle of qualification and judgement.