Naijagoal logo

Pep Guardiola Rejects Italy's National Team Offer

The Italian Football Federation reached for the moon. Pep Guardiola told them he’s not coming.

After days of mounting intrigue, Guardiola has formally rejected the chance to take charge of the Italian national team, choosing instead to stick with his intention to step away from the dugout following his departure from Manchester City this summer.

Italy’s big swing falls short

The scale of Italy’s ambition was clear. FIGC president Giovanni Malagò revealed earlier in the week that talks had been held with Guardiola and that “exceptions” could be made over his salary. In other words: whatever it took.

They were prepared to hand him not just a vast financial package but a level of control rarely offered in international football. The federation effectively told one of the game’s most decorated coaches he could shape the role as he wished, in the hope he might revive a national side that has somehow missed three consecutive World Cups.

The pitch was bold. The answer was still no.

After taking time to weigh up the proposal, Guardiola informed the FIGC that he intends to continue with his plan to take a break from the game. He wants to rest, spend more time with his family and travel. For a coach who has just completed a gruelling decade at Manchester City, the pull of a sabbatical has proved stronger than the lure of the Azzurri.

Ancelotti stays with Brazil, Italy look elsewhere

Italy’s pursuit of a superstar on the bench did not start with Guardiola. On Thursday, FIGC technical director Paolo Maldini confirmed that the first call went to a familiar figure: Carlo Ancelotti.

Ancelotti, a former Italy midfielder and one of the country’s great coaching exports, is currently in charge of Brazil. The FIGC sounded him out, hoping his emotional ties to the shirt might tempt him back to lead his homeland.

He declined. Ancelotti has agreed to remain in his post with Brazil, closing that door before it ever really opened.

With Ancelotti committed elsewhere and Guardiola turning them down despite unprecedented flexibility and money on the table, Italy’s dream of landing a ready-made, era-defining coach has evaporated in the space of a few days.

Pirlo moves to the front of the queue

Attention now swings firmly to Andrea Pirlo.

The former Italy playmaker, currently head coach of Dubai-based United FC, has emerged as the frontrunner to take the job. His name carries enormous weight in Italian football, his vision and elegance as a player still fresh in the memory. The question is whether he can now project that authority from the technical area on the international stage.

The task awaiting the next coach is unforgiving. Italy must first navigate a Nations League group in the autumn featuring France, Belgium and Turkey, a section loaded with jeopardy for a side desperate to restore its reputation. Then comes the bigger mission: qualifying for Euro 2028 and ending the cycle of painful absences from major tournaments.

The FIGC tried to shortcut that process by handing the keys to Guardiola. He chose the open road of a sabbatical instead.

Now the federation must decide: is Pirlo the man to drag Italy out of its wilderness years, or will the search for a saviour stretch on into yet another qualifying campaign?