Naijagoal logo

Newcastle’s Stance on Bruno Guimarães Amid Arsenal Interest

Newcastle’s Saudi ownership have stepped back from the Bruno Guimarães saga – and intend to keep it that way.

Despite noise from London suggesting high-level intervention and “advanced talks” with Arsenal, sources close to the club insist PIF have not muscled in on negotiations, nor opened any separate channel with Bruno’s representative, super agent Kia Joorabchian. The message is blunt: there are no secret conversations taking place above the football boardroom.

Yes, PIF governor and Toon chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan did meet CEO David Hopkinson in New York ahead of the World Cup final earlier this month. That summit inevitably fuelled speculation. But those inside the club are adamant it was not the prelude to ownership-driven transfer manoeuvres.

If anything, it underlined the opposite.

Power with Hopkinson and Wilson

Hopkinson and sporting director Ross Wilson have been handed full control of Newcastle’s recruitment this summer. Every transfer discussion, every incoming and outgoing, runs through them. That is the structure PIF put in place, and that is the structure they are determined to respect.

Since the takeover in 2021, the Saudi-backed hierarchy have talked about empowering the people on the ground. Those close to the operation say that principle is now being tested by the intensity of the Bruno situation – and holding firm.

The club is keen to stress there are no “parallel streams with PIF” on transfers. No back-channel diplomacy. No ownership override. Hopkinson and Wilson, appointed by the Saudi co-owners in 2025, are the decision-makers.

As Arsenal’s fanbase worked itself into a familiar frenzy over talk of “advanced talks” and “club-to-club contact”, Newcastle’s stance remained unchanged. There have been no fresh discussions with Arsenal chiefs about Bruno. None.

If Arsenal do decide to move from interest to action, the route is clear: Ross Wilson to Gunners transfer chief Andrea Berta. That is the first point of contact. That is the only point of contact.

The numbers on the table

The financials tell their own story. Arsenal are understood not to be willing to pay £80m for Bruno. Newcastle, for their part, have already knocked back the £70m figure that surfaced from London last Friday.

Sources at both clubs confirmed yesterday that “advanced talks” simply have not taken place. For all the noise, the reality is quieter: Bruno Guimarães is expected back at Newcastle training on Friday.

Whether he joins Eddie Howe’s squad on the club’s chartered flight to La Manga or links up later in Spain after flying directly from South America is still unclear. Inside the club, that detail matters far less than one thing: his attitude when he walks back through the door.

Newcastle have not demanded formal assurances from Bruno about his future. They believe his track record since arriving in January 2022, when the club sat 19th in the Premier League table, speaks loudly enough. They expect the same commitment, the same intensity, the same influence.

Howe’s stance on his captain

After the 1-1 draw with Gateshead on Saturday, Howe cut through the speculation with typical bluntness. He admitted he does not know what will happen with Bruno’s future and stressed those conversations sit above his pay grade.

But he was crystal clear on what Bruno means to him and to the club.

Bruno is Newcastle’s captain. In Howe’s eyes he has been “an unbelievable player and person” throughout their time together. Inside the dressing room and on the terraces, there is no ambiguity: they “absolutely love him” and want him to stay.

Howe also pointed to the wider context. Losing big players hurts. With Anthony Gordon and Sandro Tonali already significant absentees, the idea of another cornerstone departing feels brutal. “We don’t want to lose our best players,” he said. It hardly needs saying, but he said it anyway.

That is the tension now running through Tyneside: a squad trying to build, a fanbase braced for bids, and an ownership group determined not to be seen as pulling strings from afar.

The market will decide how hard Arsenal push and how far Newcastle can resist. For now, the lines are drawn. No PIF intervention. No advanced talks. Bruno Guimarães, still, is a Newcastle United player – and expected back to lead from the front.