Naijagoal logo

Julian Alvarez's Transfer Saga: Atletico Madrid's Firm Stance

As the transfer window ticks towards its final days, Julian Alvarez is still looking longingly toward FC Barcelona. The Argentine wants the move. Atletico Madrid, though, have slammed the door shut.

Inside the club, the message has been the same for weeks: Alvarez is not for sale. Certainly not to Barcelona. Not at any price they are willing to consider.

The forward missed Atletico’s opening game of the 2026/27 season after returning late from World Cup duty, a small detail that only fuelled the noise around his future. Now comes the real test.

A tense return to the pitch

Diego Simeone has decided there will be no hiding place.

“Yes, he’ll be in tomorrow’s squad and he’s better. He’s progressing at his own pace. We’ll try to manage a complicated, difficult match against a tough opponent with good players,” the coach said ahead of the clash with Villarreal, speaking to Mundo Deportivo.

Atletico could have taken the easy route and left Alvarez out again. That would have delayed an uncomfortable reunion with the fans, who have not been shy about voicing their displeasure with the striker’s desire to leave.

The calendar even offered them a convenient escape. After Villarreal, Atletico face three straight away fixtures – Sevilla, Athletic Club and Real Sociedad – before finally returning to the Metropolitano on September 16 against Osasuna.

Had Alvarez been omitted this weekend, his first appearance back in front of the home crowd might have come after the window closed, with a few games on the road to let his football do the talking and cool the temperature.

Instead, Atletico are walking straight into the storm. And they are doing it on purpose.

From the club’s point of view, having Alvarez available is non-negotiable: he is vital on the pitch, and his presence is also a statement. They want to kill the transfer speculation, not feed it.

Simeone backs the club – and the player

Simeone did not tiptoe around the issue. He doubled down on the club’s stance and backed CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin, who had already accused pro-Barcelona media of trying to stir trouble.

“Let it be clear, because at a moment when people are waiting for division and trying to create conflict and uncertainty, there is no uncertainty. Miguel Angel Gil Marin spoke clearly yesterday,” Simeone said.

The coach then moved from defending the institution to protecting his No. 9.

“For me, he’s an extremely important player for achieving our sporting objectives. We’ll be with him and look after him from a sporting perspective. Why? Because he’s our player. As long as he’s at Atletico, I’ll look after him.”

The message is blunt. As long as Alvarez wears red and white, he is central to Simeone’s plans. Whatever the forward may want privately, publicly he remains a cornerstone.

Simeone admitted he has spoken with Alvarez about the situation, but stopped short of pretending he fully understands what the striker is going through.

“It’s difficult to say how another person feels because I’m not that person. What I see is that he’s working in the best possible way, working with his teammates and showing respect to everyone.”

For now, that is enough for his coach. Work. Respect. Commitment in training.

The rest will play out in front of a restless fanbase and under the glare of a closing transfer window. When Alvarez steps out against Villarreal, the reaction from the stands – and his response on the pitch – will say more than any statement from the boardroom.