Enzo Fernandez as Key to Manchester United's Title Aspirations
Manchester United’s long search for a midfield anchor has a new leading name – and Emile Heskey believes Enzo Fernandez could be the signing that drags the club back into the title conversation.
The former England striker, speaking to BoyleSports, was clear about where United must strengthen and who he thinks should fill the void left by Casemiro’s departure earlier in the summer.
“Midfield is an area that Manchester United can definitely improve, and Enzo Fernandez would help,” Heskey said. “With Casemiro leaving earlier in the summer, they need to replace that presence. He had a very good end to the season and will be missed.
“I think Enzo Fernandez could be the one to come in and replace him. And if they get him, I can see them as title challengers.”
That is a bold line in a club still defined, and often burdened, by its past. United have not lifted the Premier League trophy since 2013, the final act of the Sir Alex Ferguson era. Every manager since has been judged against that standard and fallen short.
Michael Carrick, though, has at least altered the mood music. Guiding United to a third-place finish last season has given Old Trafford something it has lacked for years: a sense of direction. A plan. A belief that the squad is finally being shaped with purpose rather than patched together.
Heskey sees the raw materials already in place, but insists the structure around them has too often let the club down.
“They've always had the players, Manchester United,” he said. “But the systems played by previous managers haven't always suited them. If they get the system right, there’s no reason they shouldn't be challenging Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool for the title.”
That “if” now hangs over the remainder of the summer.
Fernandez is not the only name on United’s list. The recruitment team are working through a cluster of midfield options: Alex Scott, Adam Wharton, Carlos Baleba and Manu Kone all remain under consideration as the club look for the right blend of energy, control and resilience in the middle of the pitch.
United’s rebuild is not confined to the centre of the park. At left-back, where Luke Shaw has long been first choice but has also battled form and fitness spells, the club want fresh competition. Lewis Hall and Myles Lewis-Skelly are being monitored as potential additions to stiffen that flank and give Carrick more tactical flexibility.
The clock, though, is ticking loudly.
United open their 2026-27 Premier League campaign at Old Trafford on August 22, hosting newly promoted Hull City. On paper, it is a gentle reintroduction. In reality, it will be an instant audit of Carrick’s summer work and the club’s transfer execution after an intensive pre-season.
By then, United expect to have at least one new midfielder through the door and a left-back added to the mix. Those two positions remain the clear priorities before the window closes, and the success or failure of that push could define the tone of the entire campaign.
If the club land Fernandez and reshape the supporting cast around him, Heskey believes United can finally look up again, not sideways. The question now is simple: will the board match that ambition before the season’s first whistle blows?






