Eddie Howe Steps Down: Newcastle's Architect Leaves Before Liverpool Opener
Newcastle United have been jolted out of their pre-season rhythm. Eddie Howe, the man who dragged the club from relegation fears to trophies and Champions League nights, has left his role as head coach after talks with the hierarchy over the last 48 hours.
This was not a snap decision. Howe had set the wheels in motion weeks ago, quietly exploring an exit while still fronting up training sessions and plotting a way to beat Liverpool on August 23. He kept working, right up until the moment he chose to walk.
Now, 25 days before that game, Newcastle are without the manager who came to define the club’s new era.
A modern great calls time
Howe departs as one of the most important managers in Newcastle’s history. He delivered the League Cup, ending a 70-year wait for major silverware, and twice drove the club into the Champions League with top-five Premier League finishes. Last season, they went deeper in Europe’s elite competition than ever before.
Nearly five years in the job have left their mark. Howe has spent months reflecting on what comes next, convinced he could push Newcastle on again if the summer recruitment matched his ambitions. The problem is, the squad has been pulled apart faster than it has been rebuilt.
Newcastle have already sold Sandro Tonali and Anthony Gordon in a bruising window, while captain Bruno Guimaraes is firmly on Arsenal’s radar. Alexander Isak had already gone, prised away by Liverpool last summer for a British-record £125m.
Those departures weighed heavily. They formed a key part of Howe’s thinking as he questioned what kind of team he would be leading into the new season.
He will now take a break from football. The club tried to change his mind. They failed.
A brutal final act
Howe’s last game in charge was a 4-1 pre-season defeat to Championship side Bristol City on Wednesday night. The result stung, but it was not the trigger.
On returning from that trip, he told his coaching staff he was going. The decision had been in place for around two weeks, independent of any single performance or friendly setback. He had already given his word at the end of last season that he was committed, then wrestled with that promise as the summer unfolded and the squad shifted beneath him.
There is no public fallout, no visible acrimony. Those inside the club regard him as having done an “amazing job” and were desperate for him to stay. He, though, feels he has taken Newcastle as far as he can under the current conditions.
The players, on a scheduled day off, have yet to be formally told. On Friday, they fly to Spain for a pre-season training camp. They may well board that plane with a different man at the helm.
Jaissle in the frame as Newcastle move at speed
Newcastle cannot afford to linger. Talks are already at an advanced stage with Matthias Jaissle, the 38-year-old German coach currently at Al Ahli.
The connection is clear. Al Ahli are one of four clubs owned by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) – the same owners who control Newcastle. That shared structure has accelerated discussions and pushed Jaissle to the front of the queue.
Kieran McKenna and Antonio Conte were also on the shortlist and have been spoken to, but Jaissle is the favourite to inherit a squad in flux and a fanbase reeling.
Whoever comes in will walk into a club that has lost its guiding voice and several of its best players in quick succession.
A squad reshaped, but is it stronger?
On paper, Newcastle have not stood still. They have spent heavily on youth.
- Bazoumana Toure, a 20-year-old winger from Hoffenheim, has arrived for £42m.
- Sean Steur, just 18 and a midfielder from Ajax, has cost £23m.
- Ewen Jaouen, a 20-year-old goalkeeper from Reims, has joined for £18.5m.
These are signings for tomorrow. Howe needed players for today.
The missed signing of Johan Manzambi, who chose Aston Villa instead, cut deep. It was a target he wanted, a profile he believed could help bridge the gap between what Newcastle had lost and what they needed to become. Instead, it became another symbol of a summer that never quite aligned with his expectations.
The contrast is stark: Tonali, Gordon, Isak out; raw, unproven talents in. For a manager judged on immediate results in the Premier League and Europe, that imbalance became harder to ignore.
Howe’s final words: Bruno at the centre of the storm
Even in his final media duties, Howe was dealing with uncertainty. Asked on Wednesday night about Bruno Guimaraes, and whether he could offer any guarantees over the captain’s future amid strong interest from Arsenal, he did not pretend.
“Assurances - I don't think you can push too hard for those,” he said. He stressed that he wanted players who were committed, and that Bruno had always shown that commitment in training and in matches. He spoke of the Brazilian’s outstanding performances and how, every time he had worn the shirt, he had played with the fans alongside him. Howe made it clear he would love that to continue.
He underlined how precious top players are, how hard they are to find and develop, and how vital it is to keep them once you have them. Bruno, he said, sat firmly in that category.
But he also admitted the situation had slipped beyond their control. “Any distraction, if it's not healthy, is unhealthy,” he said of the saga, before accepting that neither Newcastle nor Bruno fully dictated what would happen next. All they could do, in his words, was look after him when he returned, make sure he trained well, and trust that he would make a difference as he always had.
Those were his last public comments as Newcastle manager: a plea to hold on to the club’s best players, delivered by a coach who had already decided he would not be the one leading them into the future.
“Bad times for Newcastle, yet again”
Outside the boardroom, the mood is darkening.
Jay Bothroyd summed up the wider concern. With so many key players leaving, he argued, Howe’s decision made sense. From his perspective, Howe had watched a strong squad dismantled, seen some of the Premier League’s best performers sold, and then been asked to hit the same heights with replacements who have never been tested in England’s top flight.
Bothroyd believes Howe lacked the control he craved and did not want to preside over a further weakening of the team. His verdict was stark: Newcastle, in his eyes, are now heading for a relegation scrap. He had originally tipped them for mid-table. Now he sees a bottom-half finish and a season spent looking over their shoulder.
He also questioned who would willingly step into a job where the squad looks lighter and the expectations remain sky-high.
Fans torn between gratitude and frustration
Among supporters, the reaction is a mix of disbelief, anger, and deep appreciation.
Some, like HullToon, are left wondering whether Howe still felt truly supported and whether the grand project he signed up for has drifted away from its original path. Others, such as JimmiDee, highlight the scale of his achievements in the face of a squad being “pillaged” over two summers and replaced, in their view, with bargain alternatives.
There is also a sense of introspection. SPritc80 points a finger at a section of the fanbase, accusing them of turning too quickly on Howe and the players when results dipped, creating an atmosphere that hardly encouraged loyalty from either managers or stars.
Not everyone is convinced Howe has timed this well. BrettJ2002 questions why he did not make his intentions clear before pre-season, giving a successor more time to shape the squad. Even then, the message ends with thanks, and an acceptance that his time may simply have run its course.
Chris W takes it further, calling for statues to honour him. Hyperbole, perhaps, but it captures the depth of feeling for the man who restored pride and brought trophies back to Tyneside.
What now?
Newcastle will issue their statement in due course. Jaissle could be in place by the time the team lands in Spain. A new voice will step into the dressing room, a new philosophy will be sold to a group of players still processing the loss of the man who changed their careers.
The club’s owners wanted Howe to stay. They could not stop him leaving. Their next appointment must convince players, fans and potential signings that Newcastle remain a rising force, not a project slipping backwards.
The manager who ended a 70-year wait for silverware has gone. The question now is simple, and brutal: can Newcastle’s next era live up to the one Eddie Howe has just walked away from?






