Barcelona Signs Rodri: New Midfield Anchor Joins from Manchester City
Barcelona have landed their new midfield anchor. Rodri is in, signed from Manchester City in a deal worth around £65m, and the Nou Camp suddenly has a fresh heartbeat.
The 2024 Ballon d'Or winner has agreed a four-year contract, taking him back to La Liga and Spanish football for the first time since he left Atletico Madrid in 2019. At 30, he arrives as a fully formed leader, not a project.
Seven seasons at City are now closed. In that time he made 298 appearances and stacked up 12 major trophies: four Premier League titles, two FA Cups, three EFL Cups and, crowning it all, the 2023 Champions League. He did not just sit in one of the great modern sides; he defined it.
The story was not entirely smooth. Injuries disrupted his final two campaigns in Manchester, and for a spell he looked short of his usual metronomic rhythm. Then came the summer World Cup. Rodri roared back, bossed the tournament, and walked away as player of the tournament as Spain lifted the trophy for a second time. Any doubts about his level disappeared in an instant.
His farewell message to City supporters carried the weight of those years.
"I am leaving the club with a huge sense of pride about what we have achieved and gratitude too for so many amazing memories. What we have done together in these years is something both very special and unforgettable.
"City didn't just make me grow as a player. They made me grow as a human. I saw my brother graduating from Manchester Metropolitan University. I could see my girlfriend working for the NHS. Manchester shaped my whole life."
Rodri was heading into the final 12 months of the contract he signed in 2022. City wanted to extend, but negotiations stalled and never broke through into an agreement. The door creaked open.
Real Madrid initially looked best placed to walk through it. They tracked the situation closely, and their interest was serious enough that Barcelona appeared to be playing catch-up. Sources told BBC Sport that Barça, though, already had something crucial: Rodri’s approval to open talks with City.
Back in March, speaking to Spanish radio about the possibility of joining Real Madrid, the former Atletico midfielder did not dismiss the idea.
"There are more players who have taken that path. Not directly, but over time. You can't turn down the best clubs in the world," he said then, a line that only fuelled the speculation.
But the path to the Bernabeu closed. Real Madrid ended their pursuit, and Barcelona moved into the space. City rejected an opening offer of £38.5m, but the Catalan club kept pushing. The pressure finally told, and the sides reached an agreement at a figure well above that initial bid.
On Monday, Rodri flew into Barcelona. At the airport, he called it a "dream" to play for the club he is now set to marshal from the centre of the pitch. The move also twists the narrative of Spanish football’s biggest rivalry: he could now line up against former team-mate Bernardo Silva in El Clasico, after the Portuguese midfielder joined Real Madrid earlier this summer.
Rodri’s exit continues a significant overhaul at City. He becomes the third long-serving player to depart in this window, following John Stones and Bernardo Silva, who both left at the end of their contracts. The clear-out has not stopped there. Nathan Ake and Manuel Akanji have also been sold, along with goalkeeper James Trafford, stripping away more layers of a squad that dominated English football.
City, though, are not standing still. They have already spent £116m on England midfielder Elliot Anderson from Nottingham Forest, a statement of intent in the middle of the pitch. Talks with Lille over teenage Morocco midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi are at an advanced stage, and BBC Sport understands Enzo Maresca’s side still believe they can prise Enzo Fernandez away from Chelsea.
Barcelona get the Ballon d'Or-winning conductor they craved. City rip up and rewrite the blueprint of a champion. The question now is simple: who adapts faster to life after Rodri?





