Naijagoal logo

Unai Emery Addresses Ollie Watkins Transfer Issue as Al-Hilal Shows Interest

Unai Emery has ripped the lid off Aston Villa’s uneasy summer, confirming the club have received formal offers for star striker Ollie Watkins and admitting his future could yet swing away from Villa Park before the window shuts.

Watkins, the spearhead of Villa’s Europa League triumph with five goals and two assists, has emerged as a prime target for Saudi Pro League giants Al-Hilal. His name has been at the heart of Villa’s resurgence under Emery. Now it sits at the centre of a storm.

“We have an issue with him, it’s clear. He is our player. We have had offers for him, I don’t want to sell him,” Emery told reporters, laying out the reality with little disguise. “But it can change because if it’s a good option for him and the club and I can replace him in the squad, this is the routine we have and we did before with the players who are leaving.”

That “routine” has already ripped through the dressing room.

A core being stripped away

This is not a squad gently refreshed. It is one being torn up in real time.

Ezri Konsa has gone to Arsenal for £51 million. Morgan Rogers has joined Chelsea for a British record £117 million fee. Youri Tielemans and Lucas Digne have also departed in the same window.

Now the man who has scored 108 goals since arriving from Brentford in 2020 is on the brink of joining that exodus. Lose Watkins as well and this is not just a reshuffle. It is a rebuild forced into fast-forward.

Emery, though, is trying to walk the tightrope between ambition and acceptance.

“With Ollie, he is here, for me he is a fantastic striker, we have always believed in him,” he said. “Now he is our player, there are 10 days more or less to finish the transfer window, we will see what happens, I’m happy with him, if he is staying with us he will continue playing his level.

“If he leaving it’s because it is good for three ways, one is him, another is the club and another is the team.”

It is a manager talking like a trader as much as a coach, fully aware of the market and the money swirling around his best players.

Martinez uncertainty and Suzuki’s arrival

The turbulence does not stop at centre-forward.

Emi Martinez, a pillar of Villa’s Europa League success and a 2022 World Cup winner with Argentina, is also living in the grey area between staying and going. A move to Juventus collapsed over the fee, but the door to a new challenge has not been shut.

Villa have already moved to protect themselves. Zion Suzuki has arrived from Parma for £30 million, not as a project but as a live option.

“We have two excellent goalkeepers, of course we signed Suzuki not for the future but for now,” Emery stressed. “He showed his capacity to get his performance to our level. He will need to adapt to us but he is playing at this level.

“Martinez transmitted to us the possibility to have another challenge in his career. Even last year, he was thinking in case he can have one possibility to change for his challenges.”

The message is blunt: Villa will not be caught cold if Martinez finally walks through that exit door.

Emery underlined that this is not a new conversation with his No 1. “He didn’t do it last year and he performed fantastic with us. This year, again, he transmitted us the possibility to have another challenge and we decided to sign Suzuki because I think he’s a fantastic goalkeeper.”

A Europa League XI dismantled

Strip away the emotion and the numbers are stark.

If Watkins and Martinez both leave, Villa will have sold more than half of the starting XI that lifted the Europa League just two months ago. That is a spine ripped out in a single summer.

It heaps huge strain on the recruitment team, who must find ready-made replacements in the final days of the window while Emery prepares for the Premier League opener away at Brighton on Sunday.

A club that climbed to European glory now stands at a crossroads. Are these sales the launchpad for a new era, or the start of a slide that undoes everything that has just been built?