Tottenham Signs Savinho for £85m: A New Era of Spending
Tottenham have struck an £85m deal with Manchester City for Savinho in a move that underlines a radical new era of spending in north London.
Spurs will pay an initial £75m for the Brazil international, with a further £10m tied to add-ons. Around £5m of those bonuses are viewed as virtually guaranteed, meaning City are set to bank at least £80m from the transfer.
The 22-year-old is due to undergo his medical on Friday afternoon as Tottenham close in on a marquee attacking signing. At the same time, they remain locked in separate negotiations with City over striker Omar Marmoush as they push to overhaul their forward line before the window shuts.
Savinho out, City cash in
Savinho’s departure will set a new transfer-record sale for Manchester City, eclipsing Julián Álvarez’s £82m move to Atletico Madrid in the summer of 2024. For a player who never nailed down a regular starting place at the Etihad, the fee is remarkable business.
Since joining City in 2024, Savinho has largely been on the fringes. He started just seven of his 24 Premier League appearances last season, scoring once and supplying two assists. The talent was obvious, the minutes far less so.
New City head coach Enzo Maresca has been blunt about the winger’s stance.
“Since day one, he has asked me that he wants to leave,” Maresca admitted, explaining that once a player is set on a move, keeping them becomes “complicated”. The Italian put Savinho’s situation in the same bracket as Rodri’s, with the Ballon d’Or and World Cup-winning midfielder heading to Barcelona earlier this summer.
When a player wants a new challenge, more minutes, or a different environment, Maresca said, persuading them to stay is a battle usually lost. City, as they have so often in recent years, will take the money and reset.
They may not have long to do it. With less than a fortnight left in the window, City are now under pressure to find at least one attacking replacement, and ideally two, with Marmoush also likely to depart.
“Both players are essentially surplus to requirements,” Sky Sports News’ Ben Ransom explained, adding that City will not block exits if acceptable bids arrive and the players want to go. But those exits create gaps. Big ones. Late in the window.
Tottenham’s spending spree explained
The Savinho deal is only the latest swing of Tottenham’s new financial muscle.
They have already blown past the £200m mark on six first-team signings this summer. Two midfielders alone – Sandro Tonali from Newcastle and Matheus Fernandes from West Ham – cost a combined £185m. At the back, Jan Paul van Hecke has arrived from Brighton for £52m to replace Cristian Romero, while Marcos Senesi, Andy Robertson and Martin Dubravka have all joined on free transfers.
This is not the cautious, incremental Tottenham of old. This is a club throwing its weight around.
So how can they afford it?
Sky Sports News’ Michael Bridge outlined the backdrop at the start of the window. Tottenham, he said, have “absolutely no concerns” about breaching the Premier League’s financial rules. The club’s books are strong after qualifying for Europe in 18 of the last 20 seasons, and the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium has turned into a money machine: football, boxing, concerts, NFL games – constant revenue streams.
Deloitte’s Money League backs that up. Spurs have overtaken Chelsea to become the ninth richest club in world football, posting annual revenues of £549.2m. On top of that, the Premier League’s new squad cost ratio model, which replaces PSR, has played into their hands, giving them more room to invest heavily in the squad.
But the real change is strategic.
Daniel Levy stepped away at the start of last season, and the new leadership has shifted gear. After scraping survival and avoiding relegation on the final day, the owners vowed to channel the club’s revenues into the first team. This summer, they are making good on that promise, signing established names and prime-age talents rather than bargain projects.
Savinho fits that profile. Young, expensive, with room to grow – and with a point to prove after a stop-start spell at City.
A new attacking face for Spurs, a new puzzle for City
For Tottenham, Savinho offers pace, direct running and versatility across the frontline, bolstering a squad that already looks transformed in midfield and defence. If they can also land Marmoush from City, their attacking unit will have been rebuilt in a single summer.
For City, the picture is less settled. Maresca is preparing for his first season in charge after the end of Pep Guardiola’s era, and has already seen Rodri depart and Savinho push his way out. Marmoush could follow.
Ransom believes City “would need to replace these players” and would “definitely” look to bring in at least one, ideally two, before the deadline. Time, though, is running out.
Spurs, by contrast, are moving early, moving hard, and moving with money. The question now is simple: with Savinho on the way and more deals in the pipeline, are Tottenham finally spending to stay at the top table, or just to get there in the first place?





